Thursday, July 5, 2007

The very first blog...

Well, here anyway.
I tend to be a bit of a blogger but I finally decided to do one that applies solely to the one true all time love of my life...movies.

Who I am and who I work for is not important.

What is important is the love of cinema. The feeling you get when the lights go down and the curtains open. That smell of stale and fresh popcorn mixed together. The trailers. Everything.

Movies to me are more than just a ticket and a 2 hour time filler. They are a dream come true, an image come to intense and arresting life. A movie is laughter, honesty, fantasy, love and betrayal. They can cause so many emotions and create disappointment as though they were a close and dear friend.

When I was a child, I watched E.T. on VHS. I remember it vividly because I had seen the toys and wanted one so desperately. Who was this big headed, googley eyed alien in plush grey? My mother sat me down in front of the television (not too close of course) and from the opening moments I was captivated. I laughed, I was scared and I lost myself in this beautiful portrayal of life. I cried so much, I thought that must be what dying feels like.

Ever since then, my love for cinema has become constant and irrevocable (even after I saw Battlefield Earth).

I will give any movie a chance (even Woody Allen films) and do my best to like them.
My tastes range from the big-budget actioner to the independent, limited-release diamonds in the rough.

I hope that when anyone is reading my reviews, they have read this first because knowing a little bit about the person who is telling you if it's good or not, almost always helps you not to hate them.

Here's to many more sessions in the dark, surrounded by sticky floors!

No comments: