Sunday, August 19, 2007

REVIEW: I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry




Directed By: Dennis Dugan (Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy)


_________________________________________

This is the story of two best friends who pretend to be gay in order to secure domestic partner benefits. Adam Sandler plays Chuck and the lovable Kevin James (who I might just have a soft spot for) plays Larry.

Many people believe that this is a rip-off of the movie Strange Bedfellows (2004) which, according to IMDB.COM, is described as "Two 'very straight' old timers have to learn how to pass as a loving gay couple after falsely claiming same-sex status to take advantage of newly leglislated tax laws".

Chuck and Larry sees good guy Larry trying to obtain the benefits for the security of his children should he be killed while fighting fires where the Aussie one is really just about tax fraud.

Ok now that I've cleard that up (PHEW!), I have to say that this movie surprised me. It was laugh-out-loud funny (just wait until the shower scene), promoted acceptance and understanding of the gay community, and somehow didn't end up taking itself too seriously. The film had a good balance and the two leads have great chemistry (no pun intended).

Chuck and Larry had some classic Adam Sandler inspired comedy, such as removing the giant fat man from the burning building, but also showed a more mature side. I think that Sandler's company has taken what was right with Click, gotten rid of the crappy bits, and wrapped it around this flick like a blankie.

It was strange but fun to see Sandler play a sex-addicted superjerk (sort of who he usually plays x 1000), and I also devoured the delicious cameos by Ving Rhames (one of the best moments in a comedy every, shower scene is a must see) and Sandler movie alum, Dan Akroyd. You'll recognise a few other faces too, like my fave Steve Buscemi as an anal investigator (no pun intended here either) and Jessica Biel, who can kick vampire ass one day and be a goofy half-naked lawyer the next.

I really liked I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. My only complaint is, at times the gay rights theme was a bit heavy for this type of comedy, but mostly it suited the atmosphere of the film.

Despite the obvious, I can't help but think, was this movie just a big community service announcement for Bible-bashing America? I hope not, because politics aside, it was just a really enjoyable modern comedy.

3/5 BIG GAY STARS!

No comments: