Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mailbag!



So I've been getting a few questions via my email (info@jenreviewsmovies.com) and I thought I would answer some of them...


Tom from all the way in the UK asked me if I had ever studied film or journalism...

Simple answer is no, but I've been a writer since forever! My study of film is independent and I don't think that's such a bad thing. I have studied radio, which is how I often communicate my reviews etc. My main defense is...Einstein failed math and Bill Gates dropped out of college...so there! Believe it or not I have a marketing degree, but on some level have always been writing or talking about film...you guessed it, since I could write or talk. I have also considered that by studying film, it would give me an insider's point of view thus removing some of the magic from the movie. That would be devastating to me. Thank you Tom for your jolly good question! :)


I had a question from Naomi in the USA who asks, do you get paid to do this blog?

I wish!!!!!!!!! I don't post ads here because frankly they are annoying as shit but I'm sure if someone wanted to pay me to post related ads that weren't too crappy or invasive I would happily oblige. I just do this blog for fun...and it is a lot of fun. Thanks Naomi!!! (IF any potential sponsors are reading this, please see my email to the right of the page) ;)


Finally Kevin in Queensland Australia and Nita in Germany both asked me, do I write for any magazines or other websites?

At the moment I do not. Unless you count Facebook or Myspace? I would love to write for a magazine someday (again potential editors/publishers please PLEASE see email to the right) but it's a difficult industry to break into. They love to see a journalism degree on the old resume but it's not required. I have to be totally honest here and say I haven't actually approached any other publications with my reviews but I definitely think about it! My reviews on the blog are written very casually and I believe it's not a great example of what I can write. Who knows...watch this space!


Thanks to all the people who have written in, including the bloke who wanted advice on voice-over acting which was really great but I don't know much about it other than radio, which is announcing...according to Don LaFontaine, they are two completely different things.




No comments: