Friday, March 21, 2008

For the love of a short film...



Once upon a time, I loathed and detested short films. I disliked the two extremes. On the one hand, meaningless self indulgent drivel that screams "look what I just learned in community college film class" and on the other, a try-hard psychological art piece. Please.

All that changed when I attended the St. Kilda short film festival back HERE. Sure, the old culprits were there driving me to squirm in my seat and glance at my watch more than a dozen times, yet there were others that cracked my tough exterior and made me see humour, thought and love in these little wonders.

I then realised that the short film is the showcase of all people in places whose economies cannot match those of the U.S. Those places that can't churn out over a 100 features a year, and that feel accomplished if they've managed 10...or even 5. These people have no other option...they love film, they want to make films yet they have nothing much more than their imagination and passion to complete their project.

The short film is a glimpse into potential, a teasing look into someone's soul...when it's done right that is. This is why I now enjoy short films and get excited about the prospect of watching one, or several, that are part of a collection in which its entries have been lovingly chosen.

So I decided to post this film. It's a finalist in the NOW Film Festival and I found it on Myspace. In under 7 minutes, the film makers have developed characters, established a plot and added dashes of excitement and heart. It's unbelievable what some people can do with 6 or 7 minutes.


3rd Annual Now Film Festival -Wk 22 Finalist - Super Powers

No comments: