Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Diablo + Roger + Blog Comment = Jealousy



If you've ever wanted to get the attention of a celebrity, someone who you really admire and know a bit about (though not in the stalker kind of way) and felt so tiny you might just disappear, you know the way I feel right now.

I'm an avid reader of screenwriter Diablo Cody's blog on Myspace (easy since I subscribe) and I was surprised to see she mentioned Roger Ebert. He has to be the only man that gets love from everyone, even when he tears them a new one. Good thing he seems to admire Cody equally as much as she admires him.

In this case, R.E. throws in a touching mention of Cody's masterpiece Juno at the end of a blog entry of his own. Some Aussie student comes out with a little gem of a comment on how Roger Ebert is all about redemption and boom! He's featured in the damn blog...

Fact: Roger Ebert is my hero. I doubt Mr. Soloman Wakeling (the poster R.E. features in his blog) can say the same. Yet, I'm also ashamed that I could feel jealous that Mr. Wakeling has been picked out of the masses as someone who captured the attention of a man who has quite possibly seen it all (or something close to it). I really think it's quite cool.

So here's to all the people I want to meet and seem to have created this circle at which I'm kept dancing just outside. Take a page out of Mr. Ebert's book...read the comments on your website and throw us a bone sometime. You have magic in your life every day, you meet hundreds of fans, yet one email from you might just mean the world to someone.


3 comments:

Big Mike Mendez said...

If you keep writing as well as you do in your own voice, I'm sure Rog will take notice someday. :)

Solomon Wakeling said...

You're wrong, he was my hero! I wrote to him a few years later and it took some prompting for him to remember who I was. It was a thrill to get that recognition for some modest (!) efforts, but what means the most to me is what I've learned from his body of work. I cried when he passed away, what a great man!

*He initially spelled my name "Soloman" rather than "Solomon". I never thought to search for my misspelled name in google before, but I was vain enough to think of it today!

Jen said...

I never saw this comment somehow. I'm so glad to hear you were such a huge fan. Magic!