Thursday, December 13, 2007

Top 5 Christmas Movies

Every Christmas I make a list of my top 5 films, and it hasn't really varied much since the first list way back when. I used to have this notebook I started writing in when I was about 7 or 8 which cataloged all the movies I've seen, wanted to see and movies that weren't that great. I get it out from time to time, it's quite battered now and the pages are trying to get away from the ring binding, but these films seep out of those yellowed pages each year and now they've gone digital. I hope you enjoy taking a trip through my past and seeing what movies I've come to care about at Christmas time.






5. Home Alone (1990)


Remember when McCau
ly Culkin was actually cute? Home Alone was a really fun and magical Christmas story for the then modern age. Parents cringed as poor Kevin was left to his own devices with two hardened crims…kids loved it because they got to fantasize about ditching the parents for once. One of the less annoying slapstick holiday movies out there!




4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
While I didn't mind the update, you can't beat a classic! The beautiful story with a dark underbelly is someth
ing I've watched every year of my life. I wanted to move to Whoville... Bless Dr. Suess for creating such a wonderful film with a decent moral...be nice! (How cute is that doggie with the fake antlers...)


3. Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)
Dudley Moore as a naughty elf helps Santa tsk tsk greedy corporate America in the 80’s. Great fun!




2. Gremlins (1984)


If you haven't seen Gizmo in his first adventure, then you missed out on something great in '84. These little guys put the horror in Christmas like you've never seen it before! It's mystical, it's horrible and it's so so wonderful. If you like horror, have a good sense of humour and enjoy 80's adventure films, you'll probably like this. I love the good old day before CGI when they actually built puppets and animatronic creatures!



1. Die Hard (1988)


What else?! It's one of the best action movies ever made with Bruce Willis as a cop that can get hurt and the excellent Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber aka the bad guy. I don't know why this movie feels like it belongs to me but every Christmas I watch it with my family and we swear like sailors afterwards. I always add the music from this movie to my Christmas CD's..."This IS Christmas music". If you are a grown up and haven't seen Die Hard then SHAME ON YOU! As an action fan, you probably should know this set the bar for the movies you watch now. John McClane will never be forgotten as one of cinema's greatest heroes...not only can Bruce Willis save the world, he can save Christmas too!

Honorable Mentions



  • Elf - the wonderful new classic Christmas movie. So full of heart and genuine comedy you want to hug yourself. Thank you Jon Favreau.
  • The Ref was a great anti-Christmas flick, great comedy and a holiday most families are more likely to relate to
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas is Tim Burton's vision of a kid's movie...that's one sick bastard! I love the music and animation of this truly classic tale...don't miss it.
  • A Christmas Story is an oldie but a goodie..."You'll shoot your eye out"!
  • Scrooged is one of Bill Murray's best roles...very bah humbug dahhhhling.
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...a classic
  • Trading Places was one of Eddie Murphy's best comedic performances. Although it's only partially a Christmas movie, I think it still rates.
  • The Santa Clause 1 & 2...Tim Allen in his least annoying role (besides Galaxy Quest of course). I really like the simplicity and inventiveness of the story.
  • The Classics...Miracle on 34th St, A Wonderful Life, White Christmas...when Grandma comes over these are the best!
  • Love Actually...OTT sweetness but I challenge anyone to watch this and feel bad. Once you get over the ridiculous Mega-romcom thing, it's quite sweet...actually.
  • Ernest Saves Christmas...I like Ernest OK?!
  • Fred Claus was my coolest of this decade. I rather enjoyed a ranting Vince Vaughan.

Ok well that's about it from me. Have a very safe and lovely holiday season. Watch lots of movies!


No comments: