Tuesday, March 11, 2008

10,000 BC - Stinker or Stunner?

Dude, a Tic Tac...that's all I'm sayin!


This is a copy of my article that was written for MileHive.com...please have a look at the site. It's quite entertaining and you can spend ages reading all the great content...I'm serious. I swore at myself earlier because I was supposed to be writing, not reading!

ANYWAY...

10,000 BC

Directed by: Roland Emmerich

Written by:Roland Emmerich & Harald Kloser


Starring: Cliff Curtis, Steven Strait, Camilla Belle

What's it about?
10,000 BC is a prehistoric epic that follows a young mammoth hunter's journey through uncharted territory to secure the future of his tribe (imdb.com).

The biggest movie in America this week is 10,000BC but it's what some are calling a big stinker. Do the earnings mean the film is actually credible, or that people just want to see giant prehistoric Mammoths and Sabre Tooth Tigers?

The only recognizable face in this film, besides those of the creatures, is that of Cliff Curtis, the New Zealand actor you'll remember from Die Hard 4. Everyone else in the film is relatively unknown, a casting decision that is often not without risk. In this case, it sometimes works and sometimes, not so much. Steven Strait, who appeared in 2005’s hit Sky High (a fave of mine) played pyromaniac Warren Peace, though he’s unrecognizable as the hero hunter D’Leh in 10,000 BC. He does a fantastic job in the lead, but many of the supporting characters should probably consider a different career path, or acting lessons.




10,000 BC is directed by Roland Emmerich, whose no stranger to big budget action films having directed The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day and Godzilla...all money makers, but all films whose integrity were questioned by critics. I really enjoyed 10,000 BC but then again, I enjoyed all the other movies Emmerich has done as well.

One thing Emmerich does get right here is the special effects. The first scene with the Mammoths made me sit up in my seat and stare in wonder at the amazing scene before me. There’s the budget, right there in the realistic eyes and hide of the beast. Other creatures, the Sabre Tooth Tiger and raptor-like giant birds, were also exceptional. I applauded the use of effects with live action, and it was virtually seamless. If anything, Emmerich can boast about that.


I like my little pet!


You won’t be too disappointed with this movie if you go in knowing what to expect. However, when I went to see this, a lot of people giggled in certain parts that really weren't meant to be funny and a couple behind me walked out. It’s just one of those films that you know is ridiculous, but if you’re in it, you’re in it. If you’re not, you’re going to see just how stupid it is.

10,000 BC is big budget action with great, bigger than life, special effects. If that’s what you want, then this is the movie for you. If you're going to be picky about historical accuracy and other vast liberties that were taken with the script, then see something else. Whatever it was, I walked out knowing I had been entertained but also knowing I had switched my brain off to enjoy it.

I give 10000 BC 3/5 stars.

No comments: